Update 2012-01-29 – Deprecated:
Brief: This plugin has been deprecated. For future versions and updates, please go here.
Less Brief:If you’re using a newer version of Rhythmbox, you’ll need a newer version of this plugin. I’m not sure exactly which RB version the plugin format changed, but I am currently using Rhythmbox 2.90.1 on Ubuntu 11.10 and this plugin no longer works. However, Timo Loewe has ported jump-to-playing to Rhythmbox 3, all properly hosted and everything! Get it and any future updates here (https://github.com/dmo60/JumpToPlaying). This is the version I’m now using. Thanks, Timo!
– – – – –
The following pertains to the deprecated version of the plugin…
– – – – –
This plugin will display the
View : Jump to Playing Song link as a button in the toolbar and/or as link in the Browser’s context menu. Other Rhythmbox plugins can be found here.
Using a future version of Rhythmbox – patch here – the menu item will appear in a plugin placeholder, above
Properties. Otherwise, it will appear at the bottom, like previous versions.
From version 0.3, the Open Folder plugin will also be placed in the plugin placeholder.
Changes Since 0.2
Just a couple small changes since 0.2.
- Selecting the context menu option in the preferences will now display the link in PodcastView and PlaylistView popups, as well as BrowserView and QueuePlaylistView.
Assuming the patch on bug 557152 is applied, this will place the context menu items in a plugin placeholder and allow the Preferences to remain the last menu item.
- Update (Nov 10 2008): Modified version of patch has been applied to RB development trunk, so the next version of Rhythmbox will have this update. Yay! Version 0.3.1 of jump-to-playing is to account for the modifications. Please use it.
- Extract the
jump-to-playingfolder into your
~/.local/share/rhythmbox/plugins/directory, if the .gnome2 directory doesn’t exist). Completely replace any previous versions.
- (Re)Start Rhythmbox and enable the plugin in
Edit : Plugins.
From my previous post.
- the gconf keys in gconf-editor say they have no schema. The main plugins’ keys have a schema and don’t give a warning. Definitely not serious, though.
- it currently adds/removes the ui string when the options are toggled in the configure dialog. I have a feeling it might be better to only add/remove them in the activation/deactivation, and just hide/show here. Maybe faster?
- it currently hides the browser button in small display mode. That has nothing to do with the jump-to-playing button. That should be in core, if it was decided that was the desired behaviour.
- to hide the buttons in the small display, it checks the value at activation, and it connects to the View menu’s toggleButton’s “toggled” signal. So whenever it’s toggled, the gconf value for the small display mode is checked, but I think there’s a delay sometimes. Pushing Ctrl D quickly a few times may result in incorrect UI presented. I remember deciding that this is due to a delay set on the gconf callback to overcome some other bug….
All patches are welcome!
Update 2008/10/26: Added screenshot, descriptions to screenshots, and link to main plugin page.
Update 2008/11/10: Added link to version 0.3.1 and added description.
Update 2010/12/08: Added alternative installation directory.